Subject: Re: Problem with Netatalk and Large Files
To: Tobias Schuepp <netbsd@schuepp.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/05/2003 11:59:21
On Dec 5, 2003, at 9:05 AM, Tobias Schuepp wrote:
> But there is one thing that makes me sleep not so well. I installed
> pkgsrc/netatalk and it starts fine. It wont register in the zone, but
> it
> works by APF over TCP. If i copy large files (>500 MB) from my MacOS
> System to the Appletalk volume, the transfer starts at a very good rate
> and then i slows down to 256KB a second and finally stops.
>
> Is it a know problem? Did not find something useful. Any Hints?

   A friend of mine contacted me in a panic two days ago about exactly
this problem, but on a Linux machine.  I'm not much of a Linux guy, but
I've been trying to help him debug it anyway.  He said his transfers
stop at around 750MB, which coincidentally is near the amount of memory
in the machine I believe he said the machine has 768MB.

   How much memory do you have in your machine?  My half-baked theory
based on spotty information is that data is being buffered in memory
but not written to disk until the network transfer is complete.  What
do you think?

         -Dave