Subject: Re: problem building distribution
To: Adam Bozanich <abozan01@ccsf.edu>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/26/2003 00:06:25
On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 04:37:57PM -0800, Adam Bozanich wrote:
> 2) compile kernel.
> For some reason, the './build.sh tools' was not installing the new
> 'config', so I compiled and installed it manually.

It is not supposed to install anything. You (or build.sh) are supposed to
run the new tools from the tooldir. So you would do something like

  /usr/tools/bin/nbconfig GENERIC
  /usr/tools/bin/nbmake-sparc64 depend
  /usr/tools/bin/nbmake-sparc64

or: just use "build.sh kernel=GENERIC"

> 3) ./build.sh distribution

Did you boot the new kernel in between but not explicitly specify a tooldir
(via setting $TOOLDIR in the environment or by passing -T to build.sh)?

This may have confused build.sh (but usually it would deal with this).
I guess it has build the tools in your objdir with a name including the
kernel version running at the first "build.sh tools" and now looks for them
at a similar path with the new version number. There is magic in build.sh
to figure this out, but it might have failed in your case.

> In file included from /usr/src/gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/gengenrtl.c:29:
> /usr/src/gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/real.h:67: size of array `test_real_width' is negative

I have never seen this, though I'm not sure how well tested the compiler
bootstrap from the old, crappy gcc in 1.6.x is.

Martin