Subject: Re: attempted netbsd installs (success)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/23/2003 09:55:36
On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:34:19PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> As with debug it attaches, it's a timing problem. Could you try to enable each
> printf individually to see which one cause the drive to attach ?

Hi Manuel,

Thank you for all the help.  I finally solved this issue.  It's a little
emberassing so I'll explain the story.

I had installed NetBSD on a Pentium-based PC that was given to me, and used
it to test COMPAT_IBCS2.  It worked fine, and I didn't even open the case.
I opened the case recently to pull out the hard drive to use in the sparc.
The hard drive was standalone on an IDE cable, so I *assumed* it was OK.

This morning I read the manual on Western Digital's web site and
double-checked the jumpers.  The jumpers were misconfigured to be the
Master on a Dual setup.  I set the jumpers to Single (Standard
Installation) and the drive attaches when NetBSD-current/sparc64 is booted
from cdrom without debugging messages.  I apologize for not checking this
sooner.

For penance I tracked down the debugging message that provides enough delay
for the misconfigured drive to attach.  I commented out all the debugging
messages except for the following in sys/dev/pci/pciide_common.c:

#ifdef WDCDEBUG
        if (wdcdebug_pciide_mask & DEBUG_PROBE)
		pci_conf_print(sc->sc_pc, sc->sc_tag, NULL);
#endif

I am willing to run more tests if that is helpful to you.  Otherwise I am
satisfied to correctly jumper this drive and move on.

By the way, I know it is a cheap model, but I plan to use a
non-OFW-bootable AHA-2940 and SCSI drive as the root filesystem, and the
IDE drive will just be for booting.  Pretty soon now I should be getting a
hand-me-down Promise SATA/150 and 10k 36G drive, and plan to see how well
that works in the sparc.

Thanks again for all the help,

Ben