Subject: hme0 diagnostic messages
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/03/2003 15:10:18
--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

I recently setup my NetBSD/sparc64 machine (Ultra5, 270mhz) with
spamassassin and am running spamd on it. My main i386 machine which actually
receives the mail then (via spamc -d ...) offloads spam processing to the
sparc64: the only annoying part is this.

I had a bunch of messages come in at once (which is not unusual) so they
were tossed at spamd, five at a time (the concurrency limit I have on local
delivery so as not to overload the spam processing box), and I saw this as
they were getting processed:

(wordwrapped to avoid long lines)
Nov  3 14:55:32 starways /netbsd: hme0: status=21<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF>
Nov  3 14:55:32 starways /netbsd: hme0:
status=10021<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,RXTOHOST>
Nov  3 14:55:32 starways /netbsd: hme0: status=10020<RFIFOVF,RXTOHOST>
Nov  3 14:55:32 starways /netbsd: hme0:
status=10021<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,RXTOHOST>
Nov  3 14:55:32 starways /netbsd: hme0:
status=10021<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,RXTOHOST>
Nov  3 14:55:32 starways /netbsd: hme0:
status=3000021<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,HOSTTOTX,TXALL>
Nov  3 14:55:41 starways /netbsd: hme0:
status=121<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,SENTFRAME>
Nov  3 14:55:41 starways /netbsd: hme0:
status=3010121<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,SENTFRAME,RXTOHOST,HOSTTOTX,TXALL>

Since I saw no errors in ifconfig -v hme0 on the sparc64, and everything
works fine, I'm inclined to think that those can be ignored, correct?

If so, would it be a bad idea or a good idea to #if 0 out the code that
spits those in the kernel, or add a sysctl (net.iface_quiet) or something
of the like? If they aren't causing any problems, I don't need to see
them...

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII