Subject: Re: kernel on sparc64 fails to link
To: Andrey Petrov <petrov@NetBSD.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/19/2003 07:34:34
--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 01:00:12AM -0700, Andrey Petrov wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 08:56:31PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> >=20
> > I rebuilt from a totally clean compile dir with the updated cons.c, and=
 it
> > still doesn't work. I can login on serial console, but once logged in c=
sh
> > freezes. Ctrl-T says it's in 'pause'. Attempting to ssh in results in a
> > disconnect after the banner like before...
> >=20
>=20
> Yeah, I have it too. GENERIC -current kernel doesn't let you in from anyt=
hing.
> Though custom kernel is all right.

It's my custom kernel that's not letting me in. I haven't tried a
fresh-built GENERIC.

>=20
> > Do I need pcons0 at mainbus0? the GENERIC kernel has it, but I still see
> > 'pcons at mainbus0 not configured' booting GENERIC (1.6ZC)
>=20
> That's not a problem, pcons is used if there were no other console
> found.

Ok.

Here is the kernel config I'm using, so you can (please :) point out any
glaring errors. It's based on POWEROFSEVEN with all the junk I don't need
ripped out. The machine is an Ultra 5, stock configuration (128MB RAM,
4000-something meg EIDE disk. It has an OFW-enabled adaptec card in it,
hence the scsi lines. It builds and boots fine, just won't let me in.

# starways.endersgame.net kernel configuration [NetBSD current sparc64]
# $egnet: STARWAYS,v 1.8 2003/10/19 00:49:19 dive Exp $

machine		sparc64

ident		"STARWAYS"

maxusers	32

makeoptions	LP64=3D"yes"
makeoptions	COPTS=3D"-O2 -mcpu=3Dultrasparc"

options		EXEC_ELF64
options		EXEC_SCRIPT
options		SUN4U
options		BLINK