Subject: Re: Promise ATA in PCI Sparc
To: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/08/2003 18:52:30
In message <200310082023.h98KNgYe018129@ultra.bl.org>, you write:

-> I've got a Tatung Ultra10, UltraSparc-IIi 360Mhz, OpenBoot 3.10.7
-> SME, but no onboard IDE.
->
-> I'm trying to get a Promise Ultra33 card working in the system, but when
-> I try to run the nvramrc from the FAQ, I get an error:

Avoid this card, even if you can figure our the PROM magic to get it to
boot (IIRC, whoever posted that later said that it was causing him all
sorts of other problems).

Barring the PROM issues, both Matt Green and I have had very poor luck
with these cards.  In my case panics under loads where I was using both
channels -- I don't know if it was because of that or simply just a
function of the load... the panic were due to mysterious accesses to
areas of PCI space the driver shoul not have been touching... I never
got much further with it than that and instead bought a Sil680-based
card on Matt's suggestion.  That's been running a RAID1 with a disk
on each channel just peachy.

See the thread here (and tech-kern) a little while ago.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill