Subject: pppd connection breaks down
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/03/2003 13:03:18
Hi,=20

i've got the following problem: i'm using pppd 2.4.0 to dial to my
isp(t-online, dsl), wich works quite fine, even with ipnat and ipfilter. The
connection works fine for 5 minutes, but then it just "breaks down": i cannot
route any packets across this link, but the link itself still persists; after
2 minutes pppd says "couldn't set device flags" . after next 2 minutes pppd
claims the link to be down and reconnects, which works fine. But i cannot
route any packets across the new link, too. After killing and restarting the
pppd it works again for roughly 5-10 minutes, then i have the same scenario.

I'm using NetBSD 1.6.1 on an Ultra1 (140 mhz, 196 mb ram) with 2 nics (le0 an=
hme0), le0 is conneted tho the modem. This box should replace my old
debian-box (pentium 60, 32 mb ram), which is way too slow to handle
transparent proxying and bandwith management. But: this old debian box is
running pppd 2.4.1 and is just doing fine - no problems at all.

I tried recompiling the pppd from pkgsrc - doesen't compile, would be 2.3.9.
And i downloaded the latest sources from the samba cvs
(http://www.samba.org/ppp/)  - it says "no support for netbsd in this
distibution"

Can anybody point me in the right direction, how to find out, whats really
going on, when the link "fails" (and perhaps how to fix it? ;-)) or how to ge=
a new "working" pppd compiled? I've found this one :
http://groups.google.de/groups?q=3Dnetbsd+pppd+compile&hl=3Dde&lr=3D&ie=3DUTF=
-8&selm=3D200101080614.f086E7T04160%40charm.icompute.com&rnum=3D4
but dunno, if its related in any way, since it's from Jan 2001.

Thanks in advance,
Dario Borchers