Subject: Just got a "new" Machine
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.ORG>
From: sideband <sideband@ameritech.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/08/2003 14:36:16
Hello all.

I've been semi-active recently on the port-sparc list with questions about
solaris compat on an old SS2. I've about given up on that machine...

I just got back from the University of Michigan Property Disposition
building, and walked into the house with a Sparc Ultra2 Creator3D system
with 128M RAM and a silly vid card I've never seen before. It powers up,
and the NVRAM seems good, so I guess I didn't do too badly paying only $75
for the system, type 5 keyboard, and a sun ball mouse.

At any rate.. I have some questions..

1. I've never worked with SMP before.. Anything I need to worry about, plan
ahead for, or otherwise do to make life easy getting both processors
working under NetBSD on this system?
2. Is there any plans in the near future for the support of the Creator3D
video card in this machine, or should I take the CGSIX out of the SS2 and
use that?
3. (Sacreligious Question Warning).. Would it be easier/safer just to throw
Solaris 9 on the thing until the spiffy vid card is supported under NetBSD,
or should I tough it out.
4. Anyone wanna buy an old SS2? (I'll give specifics on the machine to
anyone who's interested.)

Thanks

73 de AI8W, Chris