Subject: Re: promise nvram patch makes my tlp and/or fxp go boom
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@must-have-coffee.gen.nz>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/10/2003 13:50:45
Hi all,
I thought I had posted this note some time ago, but while looking this up for
an email enquiry I found no evidence of this, but I did find Matthew's email
from March.

The problem is that my patch will never work properly. The Sun driver doesn't
play well with Promise cards and causes no end of trouble for other devices on
the same (and maybe other) PCI bus. This was causing the siop driver to panic
at boot time and it took me a long time to link the two. My guess is that the
Sun driver encounters something it doesn't like and aborts the initialisation
leaving the system in an inconsistent state.

I've removed the Promise card from my U10, although it should work fine if you
don't want to boot from it. Solaris requires full support from OpenFirmware
for disk controllers, but NetBSD just needs to know that the PCI card exists,
which is the default situation. I may get around to making my U10 boot from
the network or I might make it boot from a CompactFlash card (I've sort of,
kind of run out of space inside my U10).

Cheers,
Lloyd