Subject: Re: SIGSEGV on 1.6.1 dump
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/28/2003 16:42:09
On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:03:32PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 04:51:51PM -0400, leam wrote:
> > If i do  "ulimit", I get "unlimited".
>
> You're using a sh-like shell. try ulimit -a to see all limits,
> and then ulimit with the appropriate option to set the limit you want.
>
> > If you're saying that a machine
> > doing nothing but a single login and a single make chokes, I'd say
> > there's a problem.
>
> The per-process limit is there to avoid a process getting fool to eat
> all machines ressources. If you know a process will need a hunge amount of
> ressources, you have to set the limits appropriately.
>
> Maybe you have a problem with your make process too, it usually doesn't need
> that much ressources.

This whole argument is beginning to get a bit silly.  The problem you have is
trying to compile sha1.c with the stock compiler.  It seems to tickle a bug in
gcc's register allocation code on machines with lots of registers, which results
in the compiler blowing up.  Take a look in doc/HACKS.  So increasing your limits
for that make process will probably not help.

Eduardo