Subject: Re: SIGSEGV on 1.6.1 dump
To: leam <leam@reuel.net>
From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/26/2003 23:11:43
On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 04:42:16PM -0400, leam wrote:

> Heh, probably found the answer. As I had said, the small filesystem
> worked but the large one, where large tar files were stored, died.
> Things like comp.tgz and netbsd.gdb. Well, I just tried it again and it
> died on the *small* filesystem. On a 90M file called "ktrace.out".  :)
>
> It is probably working on the U2/-current as it has (had) 1G physical ram.

I'm pretty sure that dump doesn't consume much virtual memory, and I'd
rather suspected dump itself, corrupted filesystem or kernel problem
(dump does excersize kernel things like forking several children with
shared mmaped memory buffer in between which is written then to the tape).
I can also guess UFS2 if involved can cause that.

I havn't used dump recently, I'm going to check that. I recommend you
to file PR with enought details how to repeat it.

	Andrey