Subject: Re: Need help with disklabel on sparc64
To: Ricardo <suga@netbsd.com.br>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/25/2003 16:09:26
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:53:51AM -0300, Ricardo wrote:

> 	Tips/hints? Are there any incompatibilities between i386 and
> sparc64 disklabels, or we need to take a step we're forgetting?

i386 uses MBR.  SPARCs use Sun disklabels.  Even with FFSIE support
in the kernel you can't move disks between them.

I'd say your options are:

1) Cross-compile a sparc64 kernel with the driver you need and
netboot (which will only work if the ethernet card you have is
supported by the firmware).

2) Build a miniroot with a kernel with the driver you need,
boot into single-user mode from a Solaris CDi, configure the
network card, label the disk, slap the miniroot on the swap
partition, and boot from the miniroot.

3) Boot into single-user mode from a Solaris CD, configure
the NIC, and install by hand (label, partition, newfs, and
installboot the disk, unpack the tarballs, create /dev,
configure /etc, etc.) and build a kernel on the U5.

Eduardo