Subject: Re: SPARCengine Ultra AXi bogus power failure
To: Francis Devereux <francis@devrx.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/12/2003 07:09:30
On Jul 22,  8:40am, Francis Devereux wrote:
} On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:51:03PM -0800, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
} > On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:14:00PM +0000, Francis Devereux wrote:
} > > I also commented out the line in the interrupt handler that actually powers
} > > down.  I now get an endless stream of "Power Failure Detected" messages, it
} > > seems like the interrupt is being triggered repeatedly.
} >
} > It's beginning to look like that board you have is not wired together
} > correctly.  The process of dispatching the interrupt also clears it so
} > the interrupt controller detects it again and sends a new interrupt
} > packet.  Are you sure it's a Sun OEM board that's been repackaged
} > and not clone board?
}
} I'm not sure.  The board has 'MB-ULTRAII i19 MADE IN TAIWAN' printed on it
} on the edge near the PCI slots.  It seems to be laid out like the diagrams in

     This pretty much cements it.  A real Ultra 2 has 4 Sbus slots and
1 UPA slot.  Sun didn't start using PCI slots until the Ultra 5.

} the OEM Technical Manual I downloaded from Sun.  There is a chip in the middle
} of the board with a Sun logo on it (labelled STP2003QFP).

     It's probably a design that Sun provided for people to make
clones.  However, that doesn't mean the design was implemented
correctly.

}-- End of excerpt from Francis Devereux