Subject: Re: cpg/sgs in disklabel
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/11/2003 21:46:20
On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, der Mouse wrote:

[dM: > If the information is present on the disklabel -- whether put there
[dM: > by newfs or whether I PUT IT THERE when I ran disklabel -i or
[dM: > disklabel -e -- it should respect it.
[dM:
[dM: I think one problem with this is that the information cannot _not_ be
[dM: there in the disklabel, so there is no way to have disklabel fall back
[dM: on its default algorithm.

I think that was my point.  I go nuts when I specify 16CPG or 32CPG
and let it do its thing and put it on the disklabel, and then when I go
back and remake the filesystem and --oops-- forget to specify cpg, newfs
ignores the values on the disklabel.

"It Shouldn't Do That."

[dM: Unless you want to hijack some magic value (0 maybe, which is otherwise
[dM: nonsense as a cpg value) as meaning "let newfs try to be smart".

...which newfs should stuff there by default if it made the filesystem
with zero guidance.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Where do you want to have the power to serve tomorrow today?