Subject: Re: chapeter II: serious problem with hme0
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/08/2003 22:16:59
In message <20030208211614.GB7248@drowsy.duskware.de>, you write:

-> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:56:13PM -0700, RJ45 wrote:
->
-> >         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
-> ..
-> > the problem is that I have a 3com switch office-connect.
->
-> I have seen full/half duplex negotiation problems with some variants of
-> the hme chip, while others work just fine.

I'll second this -- my Ultra 5's hme *will not* establish link with a
DLink 10/100 unmanaged switch no matter how I stood on my head, but is
fine with an ancient Cabletron 10/100 switch, a couple NetGear 10/100
switches and dual-speed hubs...  Interestingly, in my case, it would
not talk to the switch from the PROM either, so I couldn't netboot :-/

-> My workaround is a /etc/ifconfig.hme0 like this:
->
-> inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
-> media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
-> ! sleep 1
-> media autoselect

Hmm, I'll try to hook it up to the DLink it didn't like and try this out.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill