Subject: Re: reaper process using CPU
To: RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/27/2003 13:32:41
On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 06:09:02AM -0700, RJ45 wrote:

> Hello
> I noticed that the reaper process (which I do not know what is it looks
> like a system process) is using a lot of CPU.

Yes - it is the process that tidies up processes when they exit.

> I Am actually building STABLE from sources and reaper is using 7% of CPU
> while the other active processes like cc1 etc are using less
> CPU. sometimes the cpu usage of reaper bursts to 90% then decreses
> fastly. Is all this normal? I notices my load averages are quite high even
> if I Am not using the system and there is no process using the CPU.
> thanks

During a build very few processes actually execute for long enough
for 'top' to report any significant cpu time for them.

Maybe parents should inherit somw of the execution time of their
children - at least for this purpose?

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk