Subject: Re: CDROM drives
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/26/2003 18:40:49
On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Martin Husemann wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:21:12AM +0000, Antonio Prioglio wrote:
>
>> BTW does anybody knows what kind of IDE cdrom is compatible with U5/10?
>> Google does not offer interesting cues ... (apart buy one)
>
>Anything. Doesn't even need to do UDMA of any kind (which the U5/U10 internal
>(crap) IDE controller doesn't support anyway).
>
>So everything doing IDE should just work. [There is no such thing as the
>different block size apparently used for some Sun SCSI CD-ROM devices]

I'm not even sure that recent revisions of OpenFirmware require the 512
byte block support for boot. In any case, I've heard that solaris will
install off a 2048 byte block CD-Rom even on old hardware.

For those in the UK, there are cheap CD-Roms from Scan, though I can't
attest to their quality or block size selectability (except the Plextor
ones.):
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cdrom.htm

>Martin

Christian

PS. I'm not associated with Scan!

--
"I've started referring to the proposed action against Iraq as Desert
Storm 1.1, since it reminds me of a Microsoft upgrade: it's expensive,

    /"\
    / \