Subject: Bringing up an SS20 on MP
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan@wa8tzg.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/15/2003 15:08:03
I have a nice little SS20 sitting around doing nothing useful that I'd
like to try out NetBSD SMP on. Dual SM81's, full load of RAM, two
Seagate
Cheetah 2.5G disks. And a fast DSL connection to the 'net.

Right now the box is loaded with Solaris 9 (for evaluation purposes
only!!!). What is the quickest and easiest way to transition the box?
The obvious method is to install 1.6, download lots of source, rebuild
the kernel as an MP kernel, yada, yada, yada. After (too many) years of
systems work, I'm getting a bit lazy.

Is there an easier/quicker way?

BTW, I'm pretty new to BSD but I've been using/developing/administering
Unix systems since AT&T V7 (including V7, V6-alikes, HPUX, SysVR[234],
solaris 2.[5-9] and several "distros" of Linux) so I _do_ have _some_
familiarity with *nix :-)

I've been using Linux lately but I've decided to jump ship as the Linux
world is becoming too political/ideological for my tastes, not to
mention being tired of unstable API's, patch-of-the-hour updates, lack
of real engineering, way too much hype and things like that.

--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG  wmeahan@wa8tzg.org  /~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
"Never ascribe to mailce what can be     \ /    No HTML/RTF in email