Subject: Re: 64bit vs 32-bit kernel
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/19/2002 22:52:01
On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:29:52PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> For general use I guess you won't notice differences between 32 and 64bit
> systems.

Well, if gcc would realy work on sparc64 this would be true. But actually the
gcc in our base system now is far better in compiling 32bit sparc code - so
for non monster VM applications you will see a noticable speed increase when
running 32bit. That's upto something around 30%.

The other points are of course valid, so running 64bit has it's plus sides.

Martin
(running only 64 bit kernels in production on ultra hardware)