Subject: Re: 64bit vs 32-bit kernel
To: Sam Carleton <sam@linux-info.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/19/2002 22:29:52
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 10:27:01PM -0500, Sam Carleton wrote:
> folks,
>
> I have a UltraSPARC 10 which is about to get an install of NetBSD.  The
> machine is going to be used as a general web server (apache, mail, mysql,
> etc).  It is not going to be the firewall, or at least not if the current
> filewall is running:)
>
> What, if any, advantage is there to going with the 64-bit kernel over
> the 32-bit kernel?  Might there already be a document somewhere that
> discusses this?

With 64bit you can get more virtual memory. Operations on 64bit intergers
are also faster. A big-endian LP64 system is also usefull to make sure
programs you develop don't have LP64 problems.
For general use I guess you won't notice differences between 32 and 64bit
systems. With a 32bit system you can share your userland with older
sparcs.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>