Subject: Ultra10 boot/installation problems
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/10/2002 17:26:36
Hi -
just got an Ultra10 between my fingers and wanted to give NetBSD
a try.
I've downloaded the bootable 1.6 iso which was mentioned in the
mailing list.
It boots fine into sysinst, but when I try to get serious, strange
things happen.

First I booted "boot cdrom -a", intending to choose ethernet
as boot device and mounting an NFS root. I get the "root device:"
prompt, but the keyboard didn't respond.
So I've connected a second hard disk, as slave on the first
IDE bus. Shows up as wd1, fine. Let sysinst install on it.
(There is something wrong with DHCP configuration. dhclient
got a response, but brings up the interface with 0.0.0.0.)
Boot the freshly installed disk ("boot disk1"), but the boot
device wasn't recognized appearently, so I ended up with the
"root device:" prompt an a non-working keyboard.
Also annoying: "more /kern/msgbuf" from sysinst doesn't give me
anything.

Can someone give me a hint how to get this damn thing running
quickly?
(My collegues regard me as NetBSD expert, so this would save
my reputation:-)

best regards
Matthias