Subject: Re: Printing to LPT0 - Sun Ultra 5 - sparc64
To: Todd Caldwell <caldwell2@charter.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/30/2002 20:28:53
In message <000501c29374$07394b80$6601a8c0@caldwell>, you write:

-> Is printing to the parallel port (lpt0) supported in NetBSD sparc64 - on a
-> Sun Ultra 5?

So I tried after Martin's addition of the lpt driver major numbers to the
system, and get the following results:
	(1) Using /dev/lpa0: nothing seem on printer, haven't yet hooked
	    up the breakout box to see if signals are being twiddled or
	    not; the printing job looks like it thinks it's done quite
	    quickly.

	(2) Using /dev/lpt0: printer starts up and makes some noises, looks
	    like it's going to print but never[*] gets to the point of
	    producing any output.

On my x86 system, I used the interruptless (/dev/lpa0) device without any
serious problems; the only difference here is the machine driving the HP
and the printer cable (can't find old one, bought a new "Belkin IEEE1284
Pro" cable).  I haven't yet tried the old x86 system with the new cable
to confirm that it's the Ultra5 (in either HW or SW) and not the cable.

I'm going to poke some more, maybe add some tracing to the driver to try
and figure out what's up, maybe later this weekend...

--rafal

[*] I'm impatient, so after a couple of minutes I gave up 8-)

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill