Subject: Re: Sparc64 - SMP
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/20/2002 20:18:51
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:05:22PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> > > whats the current status of SMP on sparc64?
> >
> > currently it's non-existant.  I'm nominally working on it,
> > but I haven't had much time for it lately.  if you're interested
> > in working on it, I can describe what needs to be done.
>
> It might be interesting to describe that in public so other people could
> maybe help.

well, the first step is to get the other cpus to spin up,
which means allocating an idle stack and such for them.
also, implementing curcpu().  there's some code there already
that tries to make per-cpu mappings at a constant virtual address,
but after a day of trying to get that to work, I concluded that it
would be better to just do what freebsd does and use %g7 to store
the curcpu pointer.  to make that work, we need to stop using %g7
everywhere else.  I remove a few usages of it, but a bunch of the
trap handlers still use it.  so those need to be changed.

that's plenty to get started.  :-)

-Chuck