Subject: Re: Ultra10 and X11
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jason L. Wright <jason@thought.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/12/2002 21:47:45
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

> Heh, depends on your value of "anytime soon". We're close with the kernel
> part, but all the xsrc work has still to be done (which might not be much,
> since hopefully the OpenBSD guys now have fixed all the 64 bit big endian
> bugs in the XFree sources).

Hardly... 64BE bugs are still lurking, undoubtably.  There are two hard
issues (ok, one time consuming easy problem, one hard problem):
        1. (easier) getting the SbusBus stuff to work in XFree (this buys
           you accelerated X... doesn't make a big difference for
           cgsix, but makes a HUGE difference for creator... OpenBSD's
           console code on creator is amazingly fast now).
        2. (hard) Getting the second vga card in a machine working (say,
           one that's not initialized or supported by the prom).  This
           is a nightmare on sparc64.

I'm unsure of the status of NetBSD's X support on sparc64, but these are
the issues we're facing in OpenBSD, and I'd appreciate any ideas (and
especially code ;) on how to solve these.  NetBSD will have the same
issues soon, too =)

--Jason L. Wright