Subject: re: big disks
To: Andrew Basterfield <list@cemetery.homeunix.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/06/2002 13:28:03

   Hi
   	I'm hopefully acquiring my first sparc64 (ultra5) and seeing as how
   cheap big IDE drives are these days I intend to put a fairly large disk
   in it and use it for network storage. Is it true that modern (more than
   approx 100gig) disks need special IDE controllers to drive them? If so,
   how big can I go with the IDE on an ultra5? Are there issues with the
   OpenPROM limiting the size of drive recognised, and will these be moot
   once the kernel has booted?

upto 120G disk will probably work fine.  you _may_ need to
have the root filesystem in the first 8GB but i don't remember
all the different limitation of each different prom..

if you are adding the disk as a 2nd disk, it should be fine.

.mrg.