Subject: Re: Ultra5 - adding a second drive
To: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/27/2002 18:10:03
Andy Isaacson said:

>Most standard IDE drives should work.  Depending on the firmware vintage
>you might need to upgrade to support drives larger than 8 GB -- the
>original firmware on a system with a 4GB drive probably needs upgrading.

>You can find the firmware upgrade instructions on http://docs.sun.com.

I wish they had some kind of a table somewhere. The system says that the
firmware is 3.29. That's from 2000/12/20, which is well after sun shipped
the 9 gig drives.

>It *might* be supported by OpenFirmware; there are cards with that
>chipset that are supported by the Ultra5/10 firmware.  I don't know
>offhand if that support is intrinsic to the onboard firmware, or if you
>would need a specialty 53cXXX card with OF in ROM.

Here's some good news:

siop0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
siop0: using on-board RAM
siop0: interrupting at ivec 10
scsibus0 at siop0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target
pcons at mainbus0 not configured
No counter-timer -- using %tick at 270MHz as system clock.
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...

The external connector is wide scsi, so I just need to find a wide
drive and external case.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com