Subject: Re: Installing 1.5.1 on Ultra 2
To: Dingwall, Peter <Peter.Dingwall@uk.experian.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/03/2002 10:56:33
On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 11:06:59AM +0100, Dingwall, Peter wrote:

> I've been trying to install Netbsd 1.6 on a Sun Ultra2 but gave up after
> having all manner of problems and resorted to 1.5.1. This actually installed
> and went through all of the packages and timezone config. However, on reboot
> i'm not getting very far...

Well, I had no (serious) problem on a U2, except that it dropped me into
the kernel debugger twice and I had to say "cont" to make it continue. After
that I needed to disable tagged queueing on the esp SCSI controller (the esp
driver is seriously broken) by adding "flags 0x00ff0000" to the "esp* at sbus?"
line in the kernel config.

Did you run into anything else? Which boot method did you use? I netbooted
netbsd.INSTALL.gz.

Now to the other questions: I had few problems with installing 1.5.2 too, but
you'll note that there is *no* sparc64 1.5.3 release. This is for a good reason:
the sparc64 support on the 1.5 branch is just not good enough.

So I strongly suggest you try to hash the 1.6 install issues out.

BTW: we hope to have a working sparc64 bootable 1.6 CD image on the ftp server
sometime.

Martin