Subject: re: Creator3D driver and X server snapshot
To: None <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Sung-Won Chung <swchung7@hotmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/29/2002 04:15:12
>is there a reason this won't work on other ffb machines?  it is
>all UPA-based right, so it shouldn't matter about sbus vs pci?

I think so. But this is only tested with sbus machine,
since I have no access to pci sun machine.

>    Uploaded xterm may give much faster scroll speed --- in fact,
>    it is normal speed --- than the problematic slow scroll speed
>    of the default xterm when used with Creator.
>
>excellent.  what is the difference?

For default xterm, jump scroll seemed to be not working.
The uploaded xterm is just compiled from xfree source tree with
static link.

I tested default xterm on Xsun24 that is compiled from xfree source tree.
But the slow speed was the same. In this case, Xsun24 had problem
on drawing bitmap image. (vertical size is doubled. But drawing text and
pixmap is normal.)

>i wonder what we should do wrt ffbconfig...

I think it maybe necessary to define ioctl() interface in ffb driver
to manipulate DAC chip of the creator. But it maybe dangerous
if non-privileged user access DAC to change video timing.
I don't know whether there is more safer way.

Thanks,

Sung-Won Chung