Subject: Re: sabtty as console?
To: Jason L. Wright <jason@thought.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/20/2002 17:45:35
In message <m2d6sdb6h7.fsf@u1-2.in.thought.net>, you write:

-> Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com> writes:
->
-> > In message <20020820102956.A24113@homeworld.netbsd.org>, you write:
-> >
-> > -> 'works for me' also, either as console or terminal line. I would sugges
-> t
-> > -> that you might have different prom settings, and sab driver set it to
-> > -> 9800,8,n causes your terminal server to detect disconnection.
-> >
-> > Thanks for the feedback, Andrey (and thanks for porting the driver!).  I a
-> m
-> > using the stock 9600,8N1 settings on the port, so it has to be some other
-> > issue... However, hearing that you are succesfully using it is also good
-> > info... I'll try and poke at it if I have some time.
-> >
-> Could it be that DTR is dropped during attach of the device, which is being
-> detected by your terminal server which is then dropping the connection?  Tha
-> t
-> wouldn't explain why it doesn't come back eventually though (the open from
-> getty should re-raise dtr if nothing else).  Some terminal servers actually
-> respond to the state of the modem signal lines (like dtr, dcd, etc).  For
-> serial console machines, I'd disable that behavior if possible.

Right, that part I know is the fault of my term server... I haven't yet
figured out how to do hardware flow control w/out also getting the drop-
on-loss-of-DTR behaviour.  For this port it shouldn't matter, but I did
it globally when setting up, so it inherited this behaviour.

However, the drop of the line by the term server seems to hang the boot
process (though DTR does come back up, since I re-connect); when I connect
again, the port is frozen, and moreover, the machine does not come up to
the point where I can get at the network, either (I'd say I have a getty
misconfiguration if the boot continued, I was able to get in via the 'net
but not serial console, but in this case the box doesn't even answer ARPs).

I'll take the term server out of the picture tonight (or at least try it
with modem-control disabled) to see if that helps any.

Thanks!
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill