Subject: Questioin about to use Creator3D with X
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Sung-Won Chung <swchung7@hotmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/19/2002 19:49:07
Hi,

I wrote a primitive frame buffer device driver for Creator3D
graphic card on Ultra 1E. It provides only mmap() and
FBIOGTYPE ioctl(). With user-level access to /dev/fb via mmap(),
a pixel with 24-bit color in a specified location can be drawn.

The frame buffer mapping of Creator3D was

    1. each pixel is represented by 4 bytes (32 bit).

       - not used byte / blue byte / green byte / red byte

    2. default resolution is 1280 x 1024.

    3. each line corresponds to 8192 bytes in frame buffer

       - remaining (8192 - 1280 * 4) bytes are not displayed.
       - So, 8 MB frame buffer space should be mapped to access 1280x1024
screen.

    4. Possible frame buffer offset is between 0x0000000 and 0x1000000. (16
MB)

I think this mapping is different from cg8 supported by Xsun24.

If I executes Xsun24 by making FBIOGTYPE ioctl() to return FBTYPE_MEMCOLOR
(cg8)
and imposing a limit on offset received by ffb_mmap(),
then it dies with segment fault after drawing upper screen with dark color.
Is Xsun24 broken ?

I would appreciate if anyone could let me know

    1. Is this frame buffer mapping suitable for X ?

    2. Is it possible to use X with Creator3D
       with not so large modifications to Xsun24 ?

    3. Which is the code for Xsun24 ?

      (xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver or xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver ?)

Welcome to any other advices.
Thank you, Sung-Won