Subject: Re: problem with the hme driver on a Netra T1
To: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/15/2002 12:19:07
On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:25:26AM -0700, john heasley wrote:

 > i suspect that you have both ukphy and nsphy PHYs in your kernel and
 > your hme's got hooked to the ukphy PHY.  try building a kernel without
 > ukphy.

Having both nsphy and ukphy in a kernel will not cause this lossage.

In fact, ukphy will ONLY match a PHY if no other, more specific, driver
does.

The fact that nsphy does not match is an indication that the PHY is
not a National Semiconductor PHY.  The OUI you provide seems to provide
further evidence of this:

 > hme0 at pci1 dev 1 function 1: Sun Happy Meal Ethernet, rev. 1
 > hme0: interrupting at ivec 3021
 > hme0: Ethernet address 08:00:20:d9:1c:68
 > OUI 0x0006b8 model 0x000c rev 1 at hme0 phy 0 not configured
 > OUI 0x0006b8 model 0x000c rev 1 at hme0 phy 1 not configured
 >
 > hme1 at pci1 dev 3 function 1: Sun Happy Meal Ethernet, rev. 1
 > hme1: interrupting at ivec 301a
 > hme1: Ethernet address 08:00:20:d9:1c:68
 > OUI 0x0006b8 model 0x000c rev 1 at hme1 phy 0 not configured

So, that OUI is not listed in sys/dev/mii/miidevs.  You definitely
should be using the "ukphy" driver, as it will attach to it and
attempt to use it in a generic way.

The issue with the first hme seeing two PHYs is somewhat of a concern; I
am wondering if the two HME devices are sharing the serial bus which is
used to do PHY management.

ji -- can you provide full boot messages captured from the serial
console?  Also, ".properies" dumps of the OpenFirmware nodes for
the HME devices night be helpful.