Subject: ifconfig problem when booting the installation kernel on a netra t1
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: None <ji@research.att.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/11/2002 16:13:52
I'm trying to install the july 8th snapshot from releng.netbsd.org on a t1
that has no floppy and no cd.  I netboot netbsd.INSTALL.gz, and it comes up
fine, but ifconfig doesn't work.  To wit:

# ifconfig hme0 128.59.1.1 up

gives:

# ifconfig hme0
hme0: flags=8a63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 08:00:20:c1:e8:ea
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
        status: active
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 0.0.0.0

it correctly interprets the address and sets the netmask accordingly, but
it does not set either the address or the broadcast address.  If I use
1.2.3.4 as an address, it correctly sets the netmask again to 0xff000000.

Something *must* be working right, because when I ifconfig, I do see
the ARP packet that's sent out with the correct address.

Help?

/ji