Subject: Re: 1.6 miniroot won't boot
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/10/2002 19:37:05
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 04:34:55PM -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> | Well, this doesn't seem to be an issue with ofwboot itself. I newfs'd
> | /dev/rwd0b, extracted the instfs.tgz here, installed netbsd.INSTALL.gz,
> | and ran binstall from instfs.tgz, and I can boot from wd0b.
>
> I know it's not an ofwboot issue since the bootblock does not even
> manage to read the root directory.

Ha OK, so the first stage boot knows how to read FFS. I though it was
hard-coded blocks numbers.

> | Maybe it's an issue with the cross tool (cross-endian or 32/64 bit
> | issues).
>
> I would not be surprised.  Could you try taking different bootblk
> binaries and inserting them in the miniroot so we could determine
> if that's corrupted?  (I'd do it except my swap happens to be at
> block 0 for hysterical reasons and so installing a miniroot is
> painful.)
>
> To install a bootblock:
>
> 	dd if=bootblk of=/dev/<whatever> bs=512 seek=1 count=15

This gives:
java# dd if=bootblk of=/dev/rwd0b bs=512 seek=1 count=15
dd: /dev/rwd0b: Invalid argument
9+1 records in
9+0 records out
4608 bytes transferred in 0.030 secs (153600 bytes/sec)

so I added conv=sync

However this still doesn't give me a bootable miniroot.
The miniroot I'm using now has been built natively on sparc64.
fsck doesn't complain about it and I can mount it R/W without troubles.

> Basically we need to isolate the cause of these failures,
> which could be:
>
> 	1) Corrupt bootblk due to endian/bitsize issues in fgen

Shouldn't be. The same bootblk installed on disk:b fail, installed
on disk:d can properly load the /ofwboot from this partition. Both
bootblk installed with the same dd command as above.

> 	2) Disklabel issues

I don't think because if I manually newfs disk:b copy a kernel and run
binstall, I can boot from disk:b

> 	3) Filesystem issues from makefs not being completely
> 	compatible with the bootblock.

This looks like the problem. But I can fsck and mount the miniroot
properly. Also I'm now testing on a U5, so it's not an issue with OFW versions.