Subject: Re: 1.6 miniroot won't boot
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr, eeh@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/10/2002 16:34:55
| Well, this doesn't seem to be an issue with ofwboot itself. I newfs'd
| /dev/rwd0b, extracted the instfs.tgz here, installed netbsd.INSTALL.gz,
| and ran binstall from instfs.tgz, and I can boot from wd0b.

I know it's not an ofwboot issue since the bootblock does not even
manage to read the root directory.

| Maybe it's an issue with the cross tool (cross-endian or 32/64 bit
| issues).

I would not be surprised.  Could you try taking different bootblk
binaries and inserting them in the miniroot so we could determine
if that's corrupted?  (I'd do it except my swap happens to be at
block 0 for hysterical reasons and so installing a miniroot is
painful.)

To install a bootblock:

	dd if=bootblk of=/dev/<whatever> bs=512 seek=1 count=15

Basically we need to isolate the cause of these failures,
which could be:

	1) Corrupt bootblk due to endian/bitsize issues in fgen

	2) Disklabel issues

	3) Filesystem issues from makefs not being completely
	compatible with the bootblock.

If replacing the bootblock fixes the problem we know that fgen
is borken.

If relabeling fixes the problem we know it's the label.

Otherwise it's a filesystem image issue.

Eduardo