Subject: Re: where to buy a box ?
To: matthew green , Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/31/2002 00:29:53
[sorry I missed the original mail, so I'm quoting from an anserw ]

In message <1981.1022786247@eterna.com.au>, you write:
->
->    > Pentium 200.  The only downside to the Ultra 5 is IDE. Just give it a
->    > 7200RPM drive and keep the amount of concurrent disk I/O to a minimum.
->
->    The Ultra 5 IDE controller is a piece of shit. It can't even do UDMA 33,
->    so you just will not be able to get semi-decent performance out of it,
->    no matter how good the drive and how small the load is.
->
->
-> hmm, i can get just over 7MB/sec on my ultra5... i thought
-> this was the max of udma33 ?

All the Ultra/5 I have access to can't do udma33: they either have a 0646
which can't do UDMA, or a 0646U which is brocken dans has UDMA disabled
by default in the driver.
If you feel advanturous, you can try
options PCIIDE_CMD0646U_ENABLEUDMA

--