Subject: Re: where to buy a box ?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Prazak <prazak@scra.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/30/2002 09:39:41
Martin Husemann writes:
 > >  that's why I pointed out Ultra5 - to have better perf than my current
 > > Intel but I don't want to spend too much money in it ;(
 >
 > Your current intel box will be roughly as fast as most U5s. And if you
 > count IDE performance, any not 15 years old PC will beat the hell out of
 > all U5s.

Even a higher-end SPARCstation would be only step sideways from a
Pentium 200.  The only downside to the Ultra 5 is IDE. Just give it a
7200RPM drive and keep the amount of concurrent disk I/O to a minimum.

Also, remember that Sun workstations are just nicer to work with;
i.e., speed isn't everything.