Subject: Re: setting ethernet MAC addresses on the Netra X1?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/29/2002 17:08:51
>  tlp0: Ethernet address 00:03:ba:0a:15:ba
>  tlp1: Ethernet address 00:03:ba:0a:15:ba

> as you can see above, both interfaces have the same MAC address...is
> there any way to set the MAC address on tlp1 to be different than
> that for tlp0?

ISTR something like "setenv local-mac-address? true" at the ok prompt,
but I'm not sure whether that actually works right with NetBSD (never
tried it myself, and indeed I'm not sure I have the variable name
right).

> (If I didn't have both interfaces on separate VLANs on the same
> switch, it might not be a problem...but they _are_ supposed to be
> uniquely indentified interfaces right?)

No.  It's a comparatively little-known feature of the Ethernet spec,
but MAC addresses are specified as unique only up to hosts, not up to
interfaces.  If your switch has problems due to seeing the same MAC
address on two different vlans, it's broken.  (Not that that's much
consolation if you're faced with such a beast, admittedly.)

As an ugly kludge, you could maybe hack-and-slash the tlp driver....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign