Subject: Re: where to buy a box ?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Prazak <prazak@scra.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/29/2002 14:59:44
Lubomir Sedlacik writes:
 > hi,
 >
 > On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:00:36PM +0200, ptiJo wrote:
 > >	I'm planning to get an Ultra5 (or a bit more, depending on the price ;)
 > >
 > >	SUN doesn't seem to sell them anymore ...
 > >	Is there any company that would sell them (in Europe) ?
 >
 > if you'd like to have new low-end workstation (from the same category as
 > Ultra 5) why not Blade 100?  it's successor of Ultra 5, has much faster
 > CPU, uses standard PC133 dimms with EC, etc.  and yes, Sun currently
 > sells them and it's notably cheaper than Ultra 5 was :).

The CPU in the Blade 100 is relatively weak, and it is probably
comparable to the higher-end Ultra 5s.  The main advantages to the
Blade 100 are USB, 2GB maximum RAM, newer framebuffer options, and a
smartcard reader.  Otherwise the Ultra 5 and Blade 100 are comparable
with IDE disks and the typical desktop enclosure.  Used Ultra 5s are
now less expensive than a new Blade 100, so budget and OS requirements
would be the driving forces.