Subject: serial ports on U5
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/30/2002 13:18:56
Folks:
	I'm trying to make my U5 take over more and more functions of the
	PC that used to fill it's role (see my attempts at getting printing
	to work a while back, which I've still not had a chance to look at
	in more depth 8-/), and the next thing I'd like is to hook up the
	console port of my term server to it.

	The serial ports on the U5 seem to work dandy for use as a serial
	console, though I'm sort-of stymied as to why sysctl thinks that
	`kern.consdev == (null)', which may be related to my problem.

	However, I can't make outbound serial work via tip, for example.
	tip simply never ever reads anything from the port(s).  I've
	removed the `kbd/ms at com?' from my config since the keyboard/
	mouse that belong to this machine aren't being used...

	So, I've got the following questions:

		(1) Are the com-ports really shared between the "real" ports
		    and KB/mouse?  I know very little (so far) about the U5
		    hardware, but certainly recall using KB/mouse/serial all
		    at the same time on older (non-Ultra) sparc hardware.

		(2) Is anyone using com@ebus succesfully, esp. on a U5?

		(3) Is the kern.consdev being `(null)' indicative of the fact
		    that I'm using the PROM for console I/O?  I'm surprised
		    that one of the com ports isn't tagged as console in the
		    autoconfig output.

	I'd have dug more into this, but was busy trying to get more of my
	sgi's working again (hence the need for the term server and my
	desire to hang its' console off the U5).

Thanks for any clues,
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill