Subject: SunPCi[2] v-drive interface (WAS: Re: OT: SunPCI PC Co-Processor
To: Peter Hufnagel <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/26/2002 01:53:56
Sort of off topic, but does anyone actually use a SunPCi/SunPCi2 card in
thier Sun on Solaris?  The virtual hard-drive interface is very very
strange.  The machine will still boot OpenDOS even if you disable the
virtual IDE controller in the CMOS, which, can't be changed from "auto
geometry discovery" and doesn't detect any drives during the boot probe
anyway.  Booting the OpenBSD/NetBSD/FreeBSD kernels via floppy detects the
controller, but detects no drives attached.

I recently posted to port-i386@ about this, but I was just curious to see
if anyone knew what trickery Sun was using to pull this off? It's almost
as if the device is Net-Booting, because in the CMOS, the boot sequence
is: CD-ROM (doesn't work), Zip/LS-120, A, C, "Other".  The only way I can
get the card to not boot a freshly created virtual drive is to take
"Other" out of the sequence.

I imagine "Other" is one of the "Not Configured" devices in the DMESG.

-lava

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Peter Hufnagel wrote:
>
> > If anyone is interested in trying to develop drivers/code
> > for a SunPCI PC CoProcessor Card, I have one that I would
> > be glad to part with.  Not sure what speed Pentium is on
> > the thing, and it has one DIMM on it with eight Hyundai
> > HY57V658020 chips on it, Part# HYM7V65801 -- 8M or 64M?
> > Not sure.  ESS1869 Audio chip on board.  Don't even know
> > if it works... but its yours if you have a desire for it.
> > Free, which is the price I paid for it :-)
>
> An X server on sparc64 would be nice, first >:}
>
> I'm going to be e-bay'ing my SunPCi2 card soon.  It's a waste now that
> OpenOffice is stable, and CUPS.
>
> -lava
>

> > Pete
> >

> --Brian
>
>  ----
>
> "GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic
> table"

--Brian

 ----