Subject: Re: PC PCI cards in a real machine
To: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@must-have-coffee.gen.nz>
From: Matt <matt@vertrauen.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/23/2002 22:38:25
On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:23:13AM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> A few days ago I pulled the Promise ATA/66 PCI card from my PC and put it into
> my Ultra 10. I was getting a bit annoyed at the lack of Ultra DMA.

Speaking of... You can take PCI Adaptec 2940 cards(the ones for PC's, i.e w/o
firmware for openboot boxes) stick'em in a Macintosh then update the
firmware from Adaptec using their Macintosh firmware updater.Then you
can use the cards in a Mac, and save yourself the $20 extra mac places
chagrge for the "mac version". I remember adaptec selling a 2940UW/OF
card while back, the OF denoting open firmware.

I wouldnt be suprised if you updated the
firmware then pulled the card out and stuck it in a sun, you should see
it in "show-devs", Altohugh I've not tried this.

Matt