Subject: Re: More information with NetBSD on a Sun Blade 100
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason Wright <jason@thought.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/04/2002 18:34:33
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 03:25:26PM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> There is no such thing as a "generic AC97 interface".  The controllers
> in front of the codecs are all different.  That is not to say, however,
> that it isn't a *common* AC97 interface, found on many PCs with (as in
> "any PC with a relatively new ALI southbridge").

Yes, that's true... but the majority of the work is done once you've
got the front end.  Oh, details about the Blade100 I've discovered:
	- The codec is an AD1881A (at least on mine)
	- Sun screwed up and hooked the "true line output" (the one
	  not affected by the master volume) control to an opamp
	  going to the headphones.  What this means is that to change
	  the headphone volume you have to change the input.dac volume.
	- The lineout jack is hooked to the "normal line output" (and
	  is thus affected by the master volume).

	(Maybe this isn't a mistake, but it sure looks like one to me).

> ...nevermind that portint the code from OpenBSD to NetBSD isn't even
> necessary.  OpenBSD got the code for "autri" from NetBSD *IN THE FIRST
> PLACE*.
>
> (Of course, they don't acknowledge NetBSD in their commit message, but
> that's typical of them, so it shouldn't really be any surprise.)

If I'd have ported it, I'd have credited it.  I don't think I've been
very remiss in that department, but I've probably screwed up a few
times; mea culpa.  As it is, I just added it to sparc64/conf/GENERIC.

--Jason L. Wright