Subject: Re: Ultra 30 almost working
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/09/2001 20:47:33
On Sunday, December 9, 2001, at 03:24  PM, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> Jason Wright says that he also had some stability issues with OpenBSD on
> Ultra 30 machines and added the following to the bottom of
> psycho_attach()
> to solve the problem:
>
>         /*
>          * XXX Linux magic, helps U30
>          * "PROM sets the IRQ retry value too low, increase it."
>          */
>         sc->sc_regs->intr_retry_timer = 0xff;
>
> I have not added this since I really don't like to add untested code,
> but
> I'll be happy to do so if it fixes your problem.

I'm quite pleased to report that this does, in fact, correct the
problem! I recommend this change be committed. Out of curiosity, what,
exactly does this mean? Are interrupts frequently missed on PCI busses?
That sounds bad, although I admit that I wouldn't know if this was
standard operating procedure. Or does this mean something else?

Anyway, ss far as I can tell, the Ultra 30 is now fully functional
(modulo missing drivers for devices that are not critical to me).

Thanks a lot for the quick help.

- Geoff