Subject: Re: Snapshot for sparc64 uploaded
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/07/2001 18:57:12
| James Chacon wrote:
|
| > I went ahead and put a new sparc64 snapshot on the ftp server.
|
| Neat.  I managed to get my -stable system upgraded to -current via a
| cross build on my laptop anyway, but this snapshot should prove handy
| in the future.

Didn't know we had a -stable...

| > This doesn't include X right now but if there's need I can go ahead and
| > compile one up.
|
| What's the status of X servers on sparc64 at the moment?  I understand
| that a vga/ffb driver needs to be written before it'll work, but I could
| be completely wrong :)

So far the only supported frame buffers are cgsix.  Both vga and ffb require
kernel drivers written from scratch and probably require X server bits also
written from scratch.  (I suppose it is possible to hack XFree86 to work
without writing all over kernel memory or using inb() and outb(), but I
don't know if it will be much easier than starting from scratch.)

| I did try building X on -current a few weeks ago but it bombed out.  IIRC
| it was due to an internal compiler error.  Will try again this weekend,
| but don't really want to waste my time if I can't actually do anything.

Make sure you're using the xc tree rather than the xfree tree.  The latter
one does not have a working X server.

| One more thing - I have an /ofwboot from the previous snapshot currently
| installed which works fine, but whenever I try to install a newer
| ofwboot from a make build I just get
|
| ..Illegal instruction
|
| when trying to boot.  What's the best diagnostic stuff I can provide for
| debugging this?

In general it's not a good idea to mix bootloaders and kernels from
different releases.

I have seen cases where ofwboot is corrupt for some reason.  Try just
rebuilding that from scratch to make sure it still fails.

Once you get the illegal insn, at the prom do:

	.trap-registers
	.registers
	.locals
	ctrace

Then take the TPC value and do:

	<TPC> dis

That should cover most of the interesting information.

I really need to add all this to the FAQ.  Then I can yell at people for
sending in problem reports and not reading it 8^)

Eduardo