Subject: re: how to install boot blocks (manages are very wrong)
To: None <obrien@NUXI.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/24/2001 12:51:45
   I am preparing a SCSI disk on a NetBSD/sparc64 machine to transplant to
   another:

       disklabel -I -i sd1
       newfs /dev/rsd1a
       newfs /dev/rsd1g

   already, and want to install the boot blocks.  disklabel(8) says to use
   the -B option, which isn't supported.  All the examples in installboot(8)
   are wrong for sparc64.  I tried some variations but have not found a
   working one.

actually, disklabel(8) says:

   The read and install forms also support the -B option to install boot-
   strap code on some platforms, e.g. hp300, vax, and arm32.  The -B option
   is not supported on all platforms.

i've also commited fixes for installboot(8) pathnames and added a
sparc64 example.

the answer you probably want is:

	mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
	/usr/mdec/binstall ffs /mnt

this works the same on all sparc machines and hides the ugliness of
the different bootstrap processes...  but i note that there still
isn't a binstall(8) man page..