Subject: Re: 420R fails to boot
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org, kenny@the-b.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/05/2001 20:10:57
| On 5 Nov 2001 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:
|

| > | Illegal Instruction
| > | {0} ok
| >
| > You can't load the kernel directly.  It needs to be loaded by ofwboot.net.
|
| Okay, I booted from ofwboot.net (the FAQ didn't seem too clear about
| this).  This is the same 420R with OpenBoot 3.23.  I couldn't find a newer
| revision of OBP on SunSolve.  NetBSD 1.5.2
|

| Rebooting with command: boot net /ofwboot.net
| Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/network@1,1  File and args: /ofwboot.net
| Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
| 23a00 hostname: netbsdtest
| domainname: xxx.com
| root server: install1
| root directory: /install/netbsd/NetBSD-1.5.2/sparc64/root
| >> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision
| >> (martin@setting-sun.duskware.de, Sun Aug 19 17:21:44 CEST 2001)
| Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address: 10.xx.xx.xx, hostname: netbsdtest
| root addr=10.xx.xx.xx path=/install/netbsd/NetBSD-1.5.2/sparc64/root
| loadfile: reading header
| elf64_exec: Booting /pci@1f,4000/network@1,1/ofwboot.net
| 59352@0x800000Illegal Instruction
| {0} ok

Do a `.trap-registers'.  Look at the TPC values.  I expect it died in the
PROM (address 0xf000000 or so).  Newer machines often have buggy PROMs which
don't allow replacing a mapping without removing it first (which tends to be
a pain if you're executing from that mapping).  Try a -current kernel and
ofwboot.

Eduardo