Subject: Re: Ultra 5 w/hme + current spews
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jarle Greipsland <jarle@uninett.no>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/10/2001 14:02:59
I wrote:
> After the initial installation was over with, I decided to try
> and upgrade the system to -current.  I build a new kernel, and
> rebooted.  The new kernel booted fine until it brought up the
> hme0 network interface.  Then the kernel started spewing out
> console messages like:
> hme0: status=30001<GOTFRAME,RXTOHOST,NORXD>
> hme0: status=20001<GOTFRAME,NORXD>

> Come to think of it there might have been a period of no
> activity, or at least a pause, until I typed something on the
> console (it's running with a serial console, and there is no
> mouse or keyboard attached to the system).  The messages
> continued to be printed out until I did a 'ifconfig hme0 down'.

Some more information (I've was away from my office last week,
hence the not-so-fast follow up).  The messages on the console
seem to be related to console activity.  I built a -current
kernel from yesterday's sources, installed it and rebooted.  I
got preoccupied with some other matters, and didn't watch the
console output that closely.  After some time (the system had
probably been up for more than 10 minutes) I got back and there
was only a single pair of

hme0: status=30001<GOTFRAME,RXTOHOST,NORXD>
hme0: status=20001<GOTFRAME,NORXD>

messages on the console.  When I started typing I got a few more
of these messages.  Once logged in on the console (still a serial
line) the messages started spewing forth again as before.  I
logged out, and the messages stopped.  I logged in on the system
across the network, and the console remained quiet.  I even ran a
ttcp test with the Ultra 5 as the sink, and there was still no
messages on the console.  Once I started typing on the console
again, the messages started reappearing.  I now suspect that
there is some sort of hidden interdependency between the
console/serial port code and the network (hme) driver.  Any
ideas?
					-jarle