Subject: NetBSD-current on sparc64 comments
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/25/2001 01:06:56
        Just installed current (1.5X) on my Ultra1:

        - The fact that -current is much better than 1.5.x on
          sparc64 is not news to most on this list, but we really
          ought to mention this on the webpage. Had I just stuck
          with 1.5.1 on the box I would never have considered
          putting it to real use. -current changed that.

        - Found the odd compiler codegen and LP64_LE issue in pkgsrc
          but its happily compiled up and run a bunch of applications
          including apache, gimp, ghostscript, xv, perl.

        - The only real issue I've hit is that there seems to be
          a problem compiling C++. A 'hello world' program will
          fail at runtime with:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.4: Undefined symbol "" (reloc type = 54, symnum = 18)
          gcc -v reports 2.95.3. Was this toolchain used to build
          the snapshot? (ie: groff)

        - Its a 256MB machine but it always seems to have over
          100MB free, I would have expected the UBC to take care
          of that?

	- Much kudos to those working on sparc64.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --