Subject: Re: Ifconfig does not work on miniroot of the 1.5.1 release on Netra T1 machines.
To: None <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org, martin@duskware.de>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2001 21:15:21
| > Following your suggestion and assuming that ifconfig is doing the right
| > thing, I find that I cannot connect to any network attached devices, be
| > they on the local net or on some other net.  I think in this case, ifconfig
| > just isn't working.  I suspect it's a 32-bit versus 64-bit issue.
|
| Uhm, I only can tell for the "real" (i.e. installed) ifconfig, which works
| at least so far that it did configure my machines hme0 appropriately with
|
|   ifconfig hme0 inet 192.168.....
|
| I never looked at the address it was displaying (else I would have noticed
| any wired output), but it worked. The distribution was uploaded to the ftp
| server via this hme0, so it must have worked ;-)

If you have a running machine and do:

	ifconfig -a

You should get a good set of addresses.  If you take a miniroot,
use vnd to mount it, and run the same command but with the ifconfig
from the minitoot, all the addresses are printed out as 0.0.0.0.

| There may be (kernel) issues, but I would be very suprised if there would
| be 32bit vs. 64bit issues in this area.

Obvously not, since ifconfig works fine.  It's only the crunched
ifconfig that shows this problem.

Eduardo