Subject: FE Handbook/Sun System Handbook - confidential or not? (was Re: SPARCStation LX...)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: salo <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/05/2001 15:38:37
On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 10:38:47AM +1000, Grant Beattie wrote:
> > <cite>
> > Matt Linden, Knowledge Engineering Manager, Sun Microsystems:
> > The paper, CDROM and web versions of the FE Handbook are Sun
> > copyrighted material.  They were made available for sale to
> > the general public.  Users do not have the right to put them
> > on the web or widely distribute them.
>
> I suspect this quote is out of date.
> Currently, the Sun Systems Handbook is still online (but only available
> to channel partners). It was last updated June 8, 2001.
> The Sun Systems Handbook replaced the Field Engineer's handbook.

i hope this will lighten situation a bit..

-- cut --

From: Matt Linden <matt.linden@sun.com>

Hi all,

The below quote from me about the Sun System Handbook is current and accurate.

<cite>Matt Linden, Knowledge Engineering Manager, Sun Microsystems:
The paper, CDROM and web versions of the FE Handbook are Sun copyrighted
material. They were made available for sale to the general public. Users
do not have the right to put them on the web or widely distribute them.
The web and CDROM version of the FE Handbook have been discontinued by
us as of 12/15/00 and version 1.5 respectively. The paper version of
the FE Handbook is still available for purchase.

We have seen instances of the Sun System Handbook CDROM appearing for
sale on eBay. Sun Security has been authorized to contact eBay and
have them removed.</cite>

Below is an explanation of the situation for those interested. The situation
is confusing because of the similarity in names and content of the FE Handbook
and the Sun System Handbook. The Sun FE Handbook is a two volume paper
document produced by Sun's Computer Systems division. They make it available
for sale via the SunStore.

In Enterprise Services we previously produced a CDROM and web version of the
FE Handbook for use by service personnel and authorized service providers. We
also made the CDROM available to Computer Systems division for sale via the
SunStore. Users who compare the two will notice that the CDROM contained
older FE Handbooks and other minor enhancements as compared to the paper
version.

We created the Sun System Handbook (SSH) as a replacement to the FE Handbook
(FEHBK) for Sun personnel and authorized service provider use because the
FEHBK did not meet all of our needs. Major changes to the SSH include

o The addition of color photographs of the equipment
o The addition of Sun proprietary information
o Organizing the information by "system" type
o Adding extensive part number status, e.g. FRU, non FRU etc.

I am currently working on securing permission to produce customer versions of
the SSH. They will be the same as the current SSH for Sun except for the
removal of Sun proprietary information. Please be aware that version 1.0 and
1.1 of the SSH CDROM are intended for Sun personnel and authorized service
providers only.

Summary,

FE Handbook in paper or CDROM is OK for anyone to own. The Sun System
Handbook CDROM is only intended for Sun personnel and authorized service
providers. We hope to have a customer version of SSH available this year
which we believe will be an improvement over the FE Handbook currently
available to customers.

regards,

Matt Linden
matt.linden@sun.com